The Glens Falls Community Theatre is a not-for-profit organization created for the promotion and encouragement of the theatrical arts as well as for the personal enjoyment of its members. The group offers myriad activities that provide its members with a variety of experiences in the performing arts. The strength of the group has been in the loyalty of long-time members, the enthusiasm of new members, and the support of season’s subscribers.
Paul E. Bergan and Edgar S. Pitkin founded the club in 1935 with the belief that Glens Falls needed a community theatre outlet. It began as the Glens Falls Operetta Club and their first production was of the operetta, "H.M.S. Pinafore" in March 1936. After the first two years, with productions being sponsored by the Glens Falls Hospital Guild, associate memberships were initiated providing the club with the financial support to continue productions on its own. (Today, our Season’s Subscribers provide this financial base.)
From the third year to the present, the club has continued to grow and offer creative innovations and means of expression to its active members and its audiences. The Oratorio Group began during the third season, singing Handel’s "Messiah"; the Little Theatre Group presented its first production, "French Without Tears," the fourth season.
As the club moved away from performing operettas, it decided to change its name in 1989 and is now doing business as the Glens Falls Community Theatre.
The first show that the Glens Falls Operetta Club presented in 1936.
1940 at the old Glens Falls High School
More than 150 actors and musicians took part in this 1951 production that drew 3,000 people.
"THE LION IN WINTER"